The Oman Barista Competition is a test of the technical skills, knowledge and celerity of the Baristas.
The Oman Barista Competition 2020 is open for professionals from the hospitality industry; such as hotels, resorts, restaurants and cafes from all over Oman. To excel at the competition, each barista must prepare one cup of the perfect espresso, one decorated cappuccino and one signature espresso-based drink, all within the challenging time-frame of 15 minutes. As they prepare their drinks, the participants must engage the audience and the judges with their skills and explain their actions and selections, while expertly operating the espresso machine.
Each participant must prepare and present the following:
- A cup of single espresso
- A cup of decorated cappuccino
- A signature drink of the contestant's choice
Each participant must prepare the above mentioned drinks in a time-frame of 15 minutes.
- An espresso is a one ounce (25ml) drink, including crema. (+/- 5ml is allowed)
- Each single Espresso should be produced with an appropriate and consistent amount of ground coffee.
- Extraction time must be between 20 and 30 seconds.
- Espressos must be served in the provided 60ml illy espresso cup.
- Espresso should be served to the judges immediately after preparation and should be properly presented in a tray with a spoon, napkin, sugar and water (all presentation items will be made available to the participants)
- Cappuccino is a beverage of ratios - a harmonious balance of one single shot of espresso, and steamed and frothed milk.
- The Cappuccino must be served in the provided 180ml illy cappuccino cup.
- The Cappuccino can be decorated with only foamed milk, chocolate powder or syrup topping (chocolate powder and syrups will be made available to all participants)
- A signature beverage is a freestyle Espresso-based beverage exclusively created by the participant for this competition.
- A distinct taste of Espresso must be present in the Signature Drink.
- The participants can use the provided Toschi flavored syrups.
- The participants are allowed to bring additional ingredients or utensils for their signature beverage.
- The signature beverage will be presented in a 150ml cold Illy glass.
- The beverage must be decorated only with edible items (Sticks, stirrers, etc., are not allowed)
- The participants must submit the cocktail to the jury with a written presentation and then explain name of composition of their drinks.